Salt lamps are a new fad sweeping the country. A lot of homes feature salt lamps not only for their reported benefits but because they make any space look more attractive. But what are salt lamps and what does a salt lamp do?
Salt lamps are lamps made out of food-grade, hand-chiseled blocks of Himalayan crystal salts. They usually have a beautiful pink color while some have an orange tinge. The lamps have a hollow middle where the bulb is placed. The bulb is especially important as salt lamps won’t work without a heat-producing light.
How Do Salt Lamps Work?
Naturally produced negative ions can be found in the skies after a thunderstorm or in the air near waterfalls and the sea. However, a salt lamp can also generate negative ions but in much smaller quantities. These negative ions will neutralize the positive ones by bonding with them to produce a much cleaner air.
Small amounts of water vapor are present in the air. These may carry mold, bacteria, allergens, or germs. Since salt is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water molecules, the salt lamp will draw the water vapor to its surface and remove them from the air.
What Does a Salt Lamp Do For You?
If you’re wondering, “What does a salt lamp do?”, well, it does plenty. Salt lamps are supposed to reduce air pollution, and electrosmog brought about by electronic devices. They may also decrease symptoms of asthma and other allergies. Salt lamps work by generating negative ions which increase oxygen flow to the brain, resulting in higher alertness and reduced drowsiness.
Negative ions may also protect against germs circulating in the air since they have been found to reduce airborne viruses by up to 40%.
The benefits of using salt lamps are numerous. Here are some of the others:
- Improves Air Quality – As previously stated in this article, salt lamps purify the air. The salt of the lamp attracts water molecules to it, and as the lamp warms up, the water evaporates, but the trapped particles from the water molecules which may include dust and pollen will remain locked in the salt.
- Reduces Asthmatic Symptoms – Most homes are filled with positive ions which aren’t good for the health. These positive ions’ main source is the electronics we have in our house. When the air has too many positive ions, the microscopic hairs which line our trachea don’t work as well in keeping contaminants out of our lungs. This results in coughing and breathing troubles.
Salt lamps attract the water vapor and contaminants such as pet dander and mildew from the air and take the positive ions along with them. The heated lamps will then release the cleansed water back into the air along with the negative ions.
Placing a lamp in all rooms where you spend most of your time it will help to drastically reduce instances of allergy.
- Neutralizes Electromagnetic Radiation – Electronics such as computers, cell, phones, and appliances emit electromagnetic radiation which can cause serious long-term effects. Constant exposure to the EM radiation can cause sleep problems, high anxiety levels, fatigue, stress, and depression, among many other side effects.
The negative ions in the salt lamp will help neutralize the electromagnetic radiation in the air. Keeping one next to main EM sources in your home will lessen any potential danger to you and your family.
- Improves Sleep – The negative ions produced by salt lamps help in regulating sleep patterns. Since it also gives off a warm non-blue light glow (the use of blue light after sunset tends to interfere with the body’s circadian rhythm), it can be a good source of light that does not negatively affect sleep.
- Aids in Relaxation – The soothing, warm glow of salt lamps provide a relaxing ambiance that helps reduce stress and aid in relaxation. In fact, some physicians in the field of complementary medicine use salt lamps as a form of color therapy, an alternative to treating various illnesses.
While salt lamps cannot take the place of a good air filter, they do work. They are an inexpensive way of decreasing allergens in your household and purifying the air in your home. They are also a good source of beautiful night light for you and your family.