Are you looking at Himalayan salt lamps to reap a particular health benefit? Himalayan salt lamps are said to produce negative ions when interacting with a light source, creating a positive effect on the surrounding air by cleansing and purifying it from allergens, impurities, and even electromagnetic smog. Consequently, they calm allergies, alleviate coughing, raise energy levels, improve mood and concentration, and promote relaxation, among others.
Whether you believe these Himalayan salt lamp claims or not, we’re pretty sure about one thing: they unarguably provide one of the daintiest light sources there is. The Crystal Decor Natural Himalayan Salt Lamp, in particular, got our attention.
• Features hand-mined Himalayan salt chunks fitted in a 5 x 5 x 5 metal basket
• Comes in a metal basket with beautiful cut-out designs. You can choose from an angel, Jesus, cross, flower, Buddha, bagua, leaf, snowflake, star, or sun pattern.
• Is fitted with a corded light with dimmer switch
• Measures 5.7 x 5.4 x 8 inches
• Weighs 5.95 pounds
The product comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee.
• It gives off a beautiful amber glow that is very calming.
• The metal basket adds a nice touch to the overall look of the lamp. It makes an already pretty light breathtaking. They look like coals in a box.
• The metal basket protects the Himalayan salt rocks from being damaged.
• The brightness of the light can be adjusted through a dimmer switch.
• Aside from being a lamp, it doubles as a lovely piece of decoration.
• It creates a calm and relaxed ambiance in any room. It makes for a great night light that’s conducive to sleep.
• There are more salt rocks than what could fill the metal basket, so you have a few spares to keep or give away.
• The salt chunks are not packed separately from the metal basket. Thus, when you open it, there are “crumbs” everywhere. It is best if you do your unboxing over a trash can. Still, you need to clean the holder first before use.
• It may have an odd smell to it, which eventually goes away with use.
• The light is not enough for reading, even at its brightest setting. It is just a night light.
• The bulb doesn’t seem to heat up the Himalayan salt chunks significantly. It is supposed to warm the rocks up to get them to create negative ions.
• You may need to change bulbs more often than you’d want to.
Design: The Crystal Decor Natural Himalayan Salt Lamp is a breathtaking piece that’s sure to draw attention to itself and earn compliments. When the bulb is turned on, the rocks give off a beautiful gradient light like coal, only softer.
The metal basket that holds in the chunks together is also something to talk about. Its cut-outs have dainty patterns that let the light inside through while the outline makes a beautiful contrast to the glowing rock salts.
Another excellent design win for this Himalayan salt lamp is its dimmer switch. It allows you to control the brightness of the bulb inside. You can go from a very bright to a very dim setting. So, it caters to wide range of preferences.
In this department, this product apparently slays it.
Performance: While it is hard to prove that the product affords you the benefits you can reap from Himalayan rock salt lamps, the mood enhancement aspect is legit. The light passing through the pink chunks of Himalayan salt and against the outline of the metal basket is truly a sight to behold.
Meanwhile, the metal basket effectively protects the Himalayan rock salts inside from accidental bumps. Unless it’s overflowing, which can be the case if you force too many chunks inside, you may get some rock salts falling from it. What you can do is to remove some of the extra chunks; give them away or keep them as spare. The point is, don’t be surprised if you get occasional sediments landing on your table because that is quite normal.
As for the dimmer switch or the bulb, while you do have control over the brightness of the light, it doesn’t give off a light bright enough for you to read. So, if you’re looking at this lamp for that purpose, you need to move on and keep looking. However, we still think that it is a pretty light and decoration to pass up on.
But if you’re onto this search for the supposed health benefits you can get from Himalayan salt lamps, we suggest you compare first with other products because the bulb doesn’t seem to heat up the salt chunks inside significantly. Purportedly, it’s the heat from the light source that activates the powers of the Himalayan salt. While we do not know this for a fact, knowing that this one doesn’t warm up the rocks much should be enough to steer you to a different direction if you’re buying one for that purpose.
Making a strong case against the stunning Crystal Decor Natural Himalayan Salt Lamp is Crystal Allies’ line of wire-mesh lamps. They are bigger, brighter, and heavier. They are also fitted with a dimmer so that you can adjust the light according to your need or preference. And as it turns out, Crystal Allies’ version does get the rocks warmed up! So if you’re into Himalayan salt lamps for the supposed health benefits you can reap from them, this one makes a good choice.
But since the rocks in the Crystal Allies’ are contained in a wire-mesh basket and therefore more exposed, you may have to deal with more sediments than you would if you choose Crystal Decor’s.
The Crystal Decor Natural Himalayan Salt Lamp is a piece of artwork. It seamlessly marries the beauty of nature and metal craft. It induces a feeling of serenity and zen—and perhaps, even awe. So, if you’re looking at natural Himalayan salt lamps to improve your mood, to create a relaxed ambiance, or to decorate your room, this one is absolutely a keeper.